Pet Wellness Exams in Leland, NC
Preventative Care for Your Pet
Preventative care is a critical element of your pet’s overall health plan. With routine wellness exams from Brunswick Forest Veterinary Hospital, you can help your pet live a longer, healthier, and happier life.
Our wellness exams are designed for pets of all ages, from puppies and kittens to seniors. We are a feline-friendly practice, and we also treat reptiles, birds, and small mammals, such as guinea pigs, rabbits, and ferrets.
To schedule a wellness exam in Leland, NC, contact Brunswick Forest Veterinary Hospital today at (910) 335-8560.
What Is Included in a Pet Wellness Exam?
A pet wellness exam is like a general checkup with your primary care physician. During your pet’s visit, we’ll assess their overall health, evaluate their eating and exercise habits, and discuss their general lifestyle at home. Our veterinary team will also check your pet’s major internal organs and systems, look for potential signs of illness, and address any issues or concerns that arise.
Your pet’s wellness exam is also a great time for us to provide nutritional counseling (if needed), perform routine diagnostic tests, and let you know about any vaccinations for which your pet may be due. We can also check your pet’s dental health and recommend further care if needed.
When to Schedule a Wellness Exam for Your Pet
Most healthy adult pets should have at least one wellness checkup each year. However, every animal is different. Our veterinarians can recommend a preventative care schedule specific to your unique pet.
Your pet may need more frequent wellness exams depending on their:
- Medical history
- Risk of disease
Very young and very old pets typically need more frequent checkups. Some breeds may also have a predisposition for certain diseases; scheduling wellness exams twice a year or even every other month can allow us to detect illnesses and other health conditions as early as possible. This, in turn, allows us to begin treatment right away. In many cases, early detection and treatment can lead to better outcomes, longer lifespans, and reduced pain.
What to Expect with Your Pet’s Wellness Exam
While each appointment is slightly different, there are some things you can expect at your pet’s wellness exam:
- First, we will ask about your pet’s medical history (if we do not already have this information), including whether there is anything you are concerned about. We’ll also ask you about your pet’s overall health and lifestyle, including their eating and drinking habits, exercise routine, sleep patterns, and urination frequency.
- In some cases, we may ask that you bring in a stool sample so that we can perform a fecal examination. This can allow us to detect intestinal parasites, which may significantly impact your pet’s health and wellbeing.
- Next, we will perform a complete physical examination of your pet. This includes weighing them, checking their stance and gait, listening to their heart and lungs, checking their skin for any issues, checking their paw pads and toenails/claws, examining their coat/feathers, checking their ears for signs of infection, and examining their teeth and gums.
- We will also palpate, or feel along the animal’s body, for any signs of illness. This includes checking for unexplained swelling, discomfort, pain, lameness, or reduced/limited mobility. Palpating your pet’s abdomen also allows us to check their internal organs and determine whether they appear normal or if your pet exhibits any signs of discomfort or pain.
- Sometimes, we may also give your pet routine vaccinations or boosters during their wellness exam. This is an important part of preventative pet care, as it reduces the risk of your pet developing common illnesses, as well as other, less common — but still dangerous — diseases.
After your pet’s physical examination, we may recommend further tests. This may include a complete blood count (CDC), urinalysis test, and/or thyroid hormone testing, among others. In some cases, we may recommend additional testing if we detect any issue during the routine examination; in other instances, this is simply a preventative measure. In older pets, as well as large breeds, x-rays and other imaging tests can allow us to identify and begin treatment for common health conditions.
The cost of your pet’s wellness exam will depend on how extensive the examination is, as well as whether any additional testing is required. We can walk you through what to expect when it comes to cost before your pet’s visit so that you can be prepared.
The Benefits of Regular Preventative Care for Your Pet
Regular pet wellness exams set your beloved dog, cat, or other pet up to be the healthiest they can be. These checkups allow our veterinarians to detect common issues and illnesses early on, meaning your pet can begin receiving treatment right away. In many cases, early treatment is key to overcoming diseases, managing pain, and ensuring your pet lives a long and happy life.
Preventative pet care also helps to ensure that your pet is on the right track with their diet, exercise, and other lifestyle habits. This can significantly improve their health and expected lifespan.
If you would like to schedule a pet wellness exam in Leland, NC, reach out to Brunswick Forest Veterinary Hospital today. Our team can get you set up with an appointment at your earliest convenience. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.
Give us a call at (910) 335-8560 or contact us online to get started.
Real Stories from Real OwnersSee Why People Choose Brunswick Forest Veterinary Hospital For Their Pet's Needs
“Love being able to leave my dog with a caring staff. We feel more comfortable with her staying at the vet than any other boarding place. They've always taken great care of her and she always comes back happy.”- Rebecca M.
“Absolutely love this place. We moved further away but I still make the drive to take my fur babies there just because they are so great. Dr. Z is amazing! He is so compassionate and takes his time and is so great with the animals.”- Lindsay M.
“It was much cheaper than I expected and the veterinarian was amazing as well as his staff in the office all around a 10 out of 10 experience!”- Kalen R.